We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.Jump to Recipe
Are you wondering how to make easy soy yogurt in the instant pot? Keep reading for all the details!
My first experience making soy yogurt was next level amazing! We were living in Korea, (you can read a little bit more about that here) at the time, and on a whim, I purchased a very simple to use yogurt maker. It was non electric, and was basically a hot water thermos. I started out by mixing the milk with the yogurt starter, filled the outer part of the yogurt maker with boiling water, added the milk to a separate bottle and placed it inside the hot water, screwed on the top and waited 8 hours.
The end results was a beautiful, thick, creamy soy yogurt! Every. Single. Time!
Once we moved back to the states I thought I could just jump right back into it with the same beautiful results! Not so!
After much trial and error, and dumping more gallons of milk down the drain than I like to think about, I have finally figured it out!
So what's the #1 secret to thick soy yogurt?
The secret is to use milk with high protein content! Seriously! That's it! Well, you do need a good starter too, but the protein content is the biggest reason my yogurt wouldn't naturally thicken up without added thickeners.
When I think back to our days in Korea, I remember the milk being very rich and creamy, almost thick. Finding a soy milk with at least 9 grams of protein is what you need to look for.
What brand to use for easy soy yogurt in the instant pot
I am currently using Pacific Foods Soy Non-Dairy Milk. It has 10 grams of protein. I have also used the Trader Joes brand, and Eden soy, all with great success.
So the pacific Foods brand that I use does have added sugar, but it's the only brand that the grocery store I shop at carries with the proper amount of protein for yogurt making. So, I put up with the added sugar for convenance sake.
Let's talk about the starter
I have had the most consistent results with the Cultures for Health Vegan Yogurt Starter . It is more expensive than using a probiotic capsule, but this starter takes all the guess work out of it, and works every single time!
Why you should make your own easy soy yogurt in the instant pot
- First off, it's way cheaper than store bought soy yogurt! especially if you have a large family!
- You know exactly what's in your yogurt!
- It's so easy to make! Like seriously, so easy!!
You will need an instant pot to make easy soy yogurt
When I first started out on my mission to make soy yogurt, it was a bit daunting to be honest. Everything I read told me to sterilize all my tools, and then I would need to use a kitchen thermometer to make sure the milk was just the right temperature, and so on. It seemed so overwhelming! But, I'm here to tell you it's not hard at all, and you don't even need to go through all those extra steps! The secret is in the instant pot!
So, If you don't have one already, I highly recommend an instant pot! Do yourself a huge favor, and add one to your kitchen! I don't like a lot of kitchen gadgets, but the instant pot is right up there on the "must have" list with my blender! It can even replace a few of your gadgets you have already, like a rice cooker, and a crockpot.
Lets jump into how to make easy soy yogurt in the instant pot
what you will need:
- Instant pot-I love this one
- Wire whisk
- Soy milk-I use Pacific foods original soy milk brand
- Yogurt starter-Cultures for health vegan yogurt starter (find it on Amazon)
- 2 Quarts high protein soy milk
- 1 Packet Vegan yogurt starter
First, set up your instant pot and plug it in. Next, add your soy milk to the instant pot bowl. Open 1 packet of cultures for health vegan yogurt starter (1 packet makes 2 quarts of soy yogurt). Now it's time to give the milk a good stir with your whisk to make sure the starter is combined with your milk. Then place the lid on the instant pot. And last of all push the yogurt setting on your instant pot. The setting auto sets to 8 hours, but I have found that my yogurt tastes best at 10 hours, so I manually change the setting to 10 hours. Once it's finished, let it cool for a few hours in the refrigerator before serving.
How we enjoy our soy yogurt
Our favorite way to eat yogurt is a parfait. Here are the toppings we love!
- Yogurt isn't sweet right out of the pot, so I like to sweeten it up with a drizzle of agave, maple syrup, or honey. Give it a stir.
- Next I add our homemade granola on top.
- Easy fruit jam is another favorite (recipe coming soon!). Preferably homemade, but in a pinch you can use any jam you have on hand.
- Or I add fresh fruit. Fresh peaches, bananas, or berries.
Can I just say, these are just about the cutest jars EVER! If you are looking for something to serve your yogurt in, these are the perfect size!
Other ways to use soy yogurt
There are so many different ways to use soy yogurt! In most cases, if a recipe calls for yogurt, you can use the plant based version.
Here are some of my favorites
- Dairy free naan
- Our favorite Indian curry also found here
- Authentic Tzatziki sauce for your pita sandwiches
- Banana bread
- Added to overnight oats
- Mixed in with your favorite smoothie
What are some of your favorite ways to eat yogurt?
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments!
Easy Instant pot soy yogurt
- Instant pot
- Wire whisk
- 2 quarts plain soy milk high protein at least 9 g
- 1 packet cultures for health vegan yogurt starter
- Set up your instant pot, and plug it in.
- Add soy milk to the instant pot bowl.
- Open 1 packet of yogurt starter and add it to the milk. 1 Packet makes 2 quarts of yogurt. Use your clean wire whisk to mix in the yogurt starter.
- Put the lid on the instant pot. Push the Yogurt function button. It will automatically start the time at 8 hours. Depending how tart you like it, you can add more time manually. I change the time to 10 hours. I find the yogurt has a richer, sweeter taste after 10 hours.